Monday 8 October 2012

My first e.l.f. purchase~

Hello everyone~
A few days ago, I did a bit of shopping on the internet and decided to check out e.l.f. cosmetics because I heard they were cheap and the quality of their makeup wasn't that bad, so I decided to give them a go. This was my first time ordering from e.l.f. and I hadn't used their products before either, so I was interested to see how I would like them. I bought 2 eye shadow mini palettes, a bronzer, 2 brushes and a mattifying nail varnish.


Firstly, i'm going to talk about the brushes - I bought a flat shader brush and a blending brush.

Flat shader brush

Blending brush



When I saw the blending brush in the packet, I was taken back a little bit. There are brush hairs sticking out of it, all over the place. I thought maybe it's just the packaging that's messed up the hairs, but no, they were falling out too. I ran my finger over the brush to see how soft it was, it's very soft which is nice, and powder/dust came off of my brush. Wait, what what? Powder? Coming off of my brush? Yes. And it was never ending powder! I decided to leave the brush alone and put it down. I was much happier with my flat shader brush. It's a bit thick and I think i'd like a thinner one, but for now it's fine. There are a few hairs sticking out here and there, but no where near as many as the blending brush. 
Both of these brushes are nice and soft and feel nice on the eyes, but to have powder coming off of them and to have hairs falling out of the brushes? Not acceptable.

Next is the bronzing powder.




I got the bronzer in 2403 Luminance, because it was the lightest shade and i'm rather pale. The second photo isn't an accurate colour of the bronzer, it looks much lighter there, when really it's more golden. This is a glittery bronzer, and i'm not a fan of glittery things on my cheeks, apart from highlighter, but even then it has to be the right amount. This product's okay, it's powdery, so be careful of fall out and tap off the excess. I don't think it shows up too well on my skin as I tried it on before and didn't really notice anything - maybe when I use it a bit more and get used to it i'll see it better. 

The third product is a mini eye shadow palette.





This eye shadow quad is in 2005 Luxe.
I was attracted to this palette because of the gorgeous reddish brown eye shadow~ it's a lovely shade and a very wearable one too, so it won't make your eyes look irritated or as if you've taken something. Above are the swatches of the eye shadows and they aren't bad at all, the gold eye shadow is the only disappointing one as the colour pay off isn't the best. Personally, I wouldn't wear all these colours at the same time on my eyes, it's too much shimmer and I like to wear about 3 colours on my lids when I'm out and about. You can easily create a smokey eye with this palette, just be careful of fall out as these are very powdery. 

Next up is another eye shadow quad.





This eye shadow quad is in 2016 Nymph Dreams.
I got this quad because I was attracted to the turquoise colour and I don't have a turquoise eye shadow like this, so I thought why not. The eye shadow in between the gold and turquoise really reminds me of Urban Decay's Smog eye shadow, and it's a pretty good dupe of it, so if you are looking for a cheaper alternative, this palette may be the way to go. Again, the gold eye shadow is SERIOUSLY disappointing. I love the colour of it, the lovely yellow gold eye shadow, but it was so so difficult to get on my brush and on my finger for a swatch. Really sad about that. The others though, have a lovely pay off~ They blend well too, but once again, they're powdery so be careful of fall out! 

The fifth and final product I bought:


This is e.l.f's mattifying nail varnish. 
I've wanted a matte nail varnish for a while now, and I finally bought one! I love the classy effect matte nails give and this is pretty damn good. It dries in no time and looks really cool. I don't have much to say because I haven't used it on all my fingers yet, but once I do, i'll give a proper review on it.


I will be doing looks with these products soon, so stay tuned for that, but overall, i'm a little disappointed with e.l.f, thankfully, it's very cheap as everything, apart from the nail varnish (£2.50), was £1.50, which is ridiculous! And it costed £2 to send it out, which isn't too bad at all really. Will I order from e.l.f again? Maybe. I'll buy some of their other products like their gel liners and give them a go, we'll see.
Thanks for reading! I hope this review had some information for you to take on board in case you were ever curious on e.l.f cosmetics and wondered about ordering from there.
If there's a question or a query you'd like to ask me, you can tweet me @nadia_harrison or email me at elegant.mustache@yahoo.co.uk
Thanks again~

No comments:

Post a Comment